Out of School Youth
SELACO WDB Is A Proud Partner Of America’s Job Center Of California (AJCC) Servicing Out-Of-School Youth In Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, Lakewood, and Norwalk . We Provide Personalized Services To Young Adults (16-24) In The Following Areas: Educational Needs That Include Support And Preparation For Their General Educational Development (GED); Employability Skills Necessary To Enter The Workforce Including Instruction On Work Ethics And Job Retention Techniques; Personal Development And Life Skills Training; And Assistance In Placement In Unsubsidized And Meaningful Employment.
Target Population – Out Of School Youth
Who are WIOA eligible, this includes;
- 1. An individual not attending any secondary or post-secondary school (not including adult education, YouthBuild, or JobCorps
- 2. Age 16-24
- 3. And, has one or more of the following barriers:
- A school dropout
- A youth who is within the age of compulsory school attendance, but has not attended school for at least the most recent complete school year calendar quarter.
- A recipient of a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent who is a low-income individual and is either basic skills deficient or an English language learner.
- An individual who is subject to the juvenile or adult justice system
- A homeless individual, a runaway, and individual who is in foster care or has aged out of foster care system, a child eligible for assistance under section 477 of the Social Security Act, or an individual who is in an out-of-home placement.
- An individual who is pregnant or parenting.
- An individual with a disability
- A low-income individual who requires additional assistance to enter or complete an education program or to secure or hold employment.
- Assessment Of Academic Skills And Vocational Interest
- Individualized Services Strategy And Goal Setting
- Readiness Workshops
- Job Preparation Courses
- Performance Menu and VIP Incentive Program
- Opportunities For Paid/Unpaid Work Experience
- Ability To Access Tutoring And Other Educational Services, As Needed
- Ability To Access Community Resources
Career Academy For Targeted Sectors
SELACO WDB has developed a Career Academy for Targeted Sectors (CATS), designed to offer young adults the opportunity to establish a Career Pathway to successful employment. Participants learn about the industry sectors which show the greatest potential for a long term career.
Youth Services Learning Objectives:
- Readiness For Independent Living
- Social Relationships And Interpersonal Support
- Vocational Skills And Knowledge Of World Of Work
- Self-Sufficiency And Retention